Vol 7

Page 9




Your Say!



Ted McEvoy, who, through sheer brilliance and a fair bit of bribery, won our last competition, decided to put pen to paper to describe his feelings on receiving the prize. He writes:-


 After being away from home all last week on business and staying in a lonely motel room, it was a splendid surprise to see that beautiful object waiting for me on my doorstep.


Feelings of anticipation of what was to come swept through my body as I gazed upon the sleek and curvy lines, the emerald green clothing topped by dazzling gold. My mind was transported back in time to the place where I shared my first experience with this object of my desire. To think that this beautiful creature on my doorstep was to be all mine and not to be shared with anybody else initially gave me some feelings of selfishness but these thoughts were soon dashed as my body and mind reacted to some basic emotion, much like those which a prehistoric caveman would have felt when hunting for food or a companion.


My fingers trembled as I attempted to unlock my front door. All I wanted to do was to get this beautiful creature into my house and remove the outside coverings so that I could taste the forbidden nectar!! I told my beating heart to slow down as it was not the right thing to do - slow and steady is a better approach. My brain then began to work in a more logical manner - it reminded me that certain preparations were needed to be taken before I could enjoy my reward.


I opened the door, rearranged various other objects and gently lay down this beautiful creature to enjoy a few hours of rest and solitude. As I quietly closed the door I said "See you in a few hours, darling and then I can finally satisfy my burning desires".


I'm sure some people may think I am a little strange or maybe even I have a fetish (or two) but we who are the true believers, all agree that you can keep your Barossa Pearl (or should that be "Hurl"), you can shoot down all the Cold Ducks from the sky and also ex-communicate those Blue Nuns. A bottle of Rinegolde is heaps better than Gold at the Olympics and will always be an important part of my past.”


Hear bloody Hear!!




Alan O’Connor, who was on 41 RTC back in 1967, and who now lives in Townsville writes:


Years ago when I was at Laverton, I was good mates with, and shared a room with, a bloke named John Thomson. Tommo came from Corowa, up on the Murray near Albury and our week-end escapades to the boarder town were legendary. Tommo’s service number was A316935, and talk about coincidences, my son joined the RAAF as a Radio Tech in training, and his number was A136935. I haven’t heard from Tommo for some time, and would appreciate you giving him my address.


I’m sorry that I couldn’t make the last reunion, but I’ll definitely be at the next.


You should be in touch with Tommo by now Al, though you won’t be dropping around for a barby—he lives a long way from you. See you in March.  Tb




As mentioned on page 5, we recently received a note from Mark Bartlam who works for Boeing at Amberley, and who told us of the untimely death of Frank Horne. Mark says he works with a couple of crusty old ex-Radtechs, and he thinks a few would be interested in joining. He writes:


I joined the RAAF in Jan, 1977 as an Apprentice on no. 31 intake. After the usual torture of Basic Training and General Fitting (3 and 9 months), I spent a further 16 months at Wagga Wagga learning how to beat bits of metal into submission. Our intake was actually the first to have Apprentice Aircraft Metal Workers. I was posted to 482 Sqn on completion of my course, in April 1979 and stayed there until December 1987 when I was posted to 38 Sqn at Richmond. I left the RAAF in July 1989 and worked as a Carpenter on skyscrapers in Sydney for 2 years, then a stint with Awasco back at Richmond, contracted to 2AD. That was the start of a series of jobs back out at Richmond with Serco then Hawker de Havilland interspersed with a couple of jobs as diverse as Fibreglasser/Spraypainter at Maxicube Truck Repairs, a Vocational Instructor at a Juvenile Justice Centre. I came back to Queensland in 1994 on the promise of a job with the Avionics Upgrade Program on the F-111's here at Amberley. I started that job as Technical Administrator with Hawker de Havilland and I am still working there, but now with Boeing, as a Structural Systems Technician.


Mark’s been trying to organise a reunion of his old Wagga mates, but thinks it might be a lot easier to join our lot and to combine our efforts. We can only agree.



Greek cheer squad chorus for the 2004 Olympics:-

“Olive Olive Olive—Oil Oil Oil”



Back      1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11     Forward